Programme for Agro-Business Induced Growth (AgroBIG) in Amhara National Regional State is an agribusiness development programme of the Ethiopian and Finnish governments under Bureau of Finance and Economic Cooperation (BoFEC) as the responsible government coordinating agency.
The objective of AgroBIG is to contribute to poverty reduction through agriculture based economic growth in Amhara region.
AgroBIG is a value chain approach programme and supports smallholder agribusinesses in selected kebeles in the districts of North Achefer, South Achefer, North Mecha, South Mecha, Bahir Dar Zuria, Dera, Fogera and Libo Kemkem. The value chains supported commodities are Onion, Potato, Rice, Maize, Tomato, Dairy, Poultry, Goat and Sheep rearing.
The purpose of the Matching Grant Fund is to provide value chain actors access to finance and financial services to strengthen the competitiveness and sustainability of their enterprises.
Maximum size of grant is 1,000,000 Birr and the required matching fund from the applicant is 50% of the total project cost. The applicant shall be requested to deposit the required own contribution in a bank account as soon as the business plan is approved.
Who can apply:-
- Cooperatives and their unions, sector associations, registered Agro-processing companies that have been operating for at least one year in one or more of the AgroBIG value chains or intend to expand operations into one or more of the value chains.
- Applicants shall be registered within the AgroBIG target woredas: North Achefer, South Achefer, North Mecha, South Mecha, Bahir Dar Zuria, Dera, Fogera and Libokemkem. This includes all urban areas and towns within the target woredas, and the two Zonal towns: Debre Tabor and Finote Selam;
Applicants are required to prepare their business plan using the proper format and submit the business plan with envelope, signed and sealed. Further details regarding the requirement and how to apply can be found upon request from AgroBIG PSU, Bahir Dar, Shum Abo sub city, ACSI Building 3rd Floor, or respective woreda Finance and economic cooperation office, and downloaded at www.agrobig.org
The following are some of the points to be considered during evaluation;
- Strengthening value chains
- Promote value addition
- Promote new technology or new business approach
- Number of beneficiaries
- Marketing approach and volume of sales
- Number of jobs created
Appraisal and Evaluation will be conducted by a committee established under each Woreda Finance and Economic Development office.
Applicants shall submit their concept notes to the Woreda Finance and Economic Development office of the Woreda, in which most of the proposed projects’ activities will take place.
Projects in Debre Tabor can submit their application to Libokemkem, Dera or Fogera woreda Finance and Economic development office. Projects in Finote Selam can submit their application to North Achefer or South Achefer, or to North mecha or South Mecha Woreda Finance and Economic Development offices. Projects in Bahir Dar town can submit their application to Bahir Dar Zuria Finance and Economic Cooperation office.
Further details regarding the requirement and how to apply can be found upon request from AgroBIG PSU, Bahir Dar, Shum Abo sub city, ACSI Building 3rd Floor, or respective woreda Finance and economic cooperation office, and downloaded here.
- Matching Grant Guideline, Amharic (PDF, 191Kb)
- Matching Grant Guideline, English (PDF, 117Kb)
- Annexes to Matching Grant Guideline, Amharic Version (MS Word, 75Kb) (Updated format)
- Annexes to Matching Grant Guideline, English Version (MS Word, 67Kb) (Updated format)
Deadline for submitting the Concept Notes is: January 9, 2020.
Bureau of Finance and Economic Cooperation,
AgroBIG Programme Support Unit. Bahir Dar: Tel 0582 209238